Wednesday, September 16, 2009

back thanks to Keri!!!

ahhhh, I am back on my blog. Wow it has been a long time. I was inspired to return thanks to Keri's funny orginal creative - just totally Keri - kitchen blog.

I had just wanted to comment on her slight rant on US waste management that had caused her to make her own yogurt when I refound my blogself :)

Anyway - are you interested in how waste management is done in Switzerland? Probably not - but if your community could take on just a few of these things it would make a huge difference.

Firstly, my husband and I have a 35 liter (about half a Hefty) bag of trash BIweekly. Nothing, right?!

That's because we can recycle: compost, paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, glass, tin, metal, oil, batteries, old clothes and and and ....

But the most interesting thing is how the waste is disposed of! No mountains of trash covered with sod and a poor stinky tree on the side of the express way!!! No, or garbage is burned in enclosed burning halls. The bi-product of which is steam. This steam is then used as an energy source. Actually, all hospitals in Zurich are heated as a result of good waste management. And all the organic tomatoes from the region are grown in greenhouses heat as a result of this trash burning.

Even cooler is Spain - where they have fields of solar panels in the desert! Can someone tell me why Las Vegas is taking more advantage of the only real resource they have - the sun!

So, Keri - I think your yogurt is a great small step - we should all be making such!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post, Kristy. I'll never forget that day years ago when you went shoe shopping with Darel and me. I remember seeing a man buy a pair of shoes, give the clerk his old ones, and wear the new ones home. No packaging. No waste to take home. What happened to the old shoes? I hope they were donated to charity or otherwise re-used. But knowing Switzerland, they probably powered the town clock tower with that pair of shoes for a whole month. Anyway, welcome back to your blogself. Do you mind if I link you to my blog?

Besos,
Keri
mykitchenmyvice.blogspot.com